Thursday, September 06, 2007

Road Warriors

Tuesday afternoon Michael and I packed up the Matrix and took off toward Houston. This was our first official "road trip" since moving here, and I have to say it was a little strange to take a trip like this that didn't involve I-5, the California coast, Reno or Tahoe.

But where we ended up was pretty unbelievable, and completely unexpected. The Woodlands is about 30 miles north of Houston, and to call it a Master-Planned community is simply an understatement. It was beautiful and classy, sort of Carmel meets Tahoe City. We loved it all, and we barely scratched the surface. And as usual, our pictures don't do it justice. Another new camera is coming soon, I can only hope.

[EDIT - Picture removed]

The only downside to the destination was that we were only there for about 24 hours. We went for Michael's work. His company just opened a satellite warehouse near the area, and he had to go set up the technical stuff. (That is the proper jargon, is it not?) I went along for the ride and the free hotel room, but mostly because OnStar was on duty yet again.

After a three hour road trip through the winding pine-tree lined roads of East Texas (via hwy 290) we arrived at our hotel. A quick trip down the street led us to the Town Center where we ate at The Cheesecake Factory.

The next morning, Michael went to work while I explored the shopping district which is made up two separate malls - indoor and out. And all so, so, so beautiful. I took a free trolley ride around the entire downtown area and got my own personalized tour from a very enthusiastic driver (I was the only person on the bus). After work, Michael joined me and we went to a real Irish pub that they say they actually brought over from Ireland - meaning the carpentry as well as some of the original carpenters, along with all of the authentic items inside. Of course, we had to have a Guinness.

The entire Town Center is surrounded by a man-made waterway which has water taxis running (well, slowly cruising) back and forth. We hopped on and got another tour. The area is still under construction, but already very impressive. I could easily spend a month there, or the rest of my life, if only I could afford it.

We drove by downtown Houston on our way home, so we saw the nighttime lights of the city, but didn't make any stops. The long and lonely I-10 was beckoning us into the darkness which would lead us to our home, far away. And driving down the road I got this feeling that I only left just yesterday ... yesterday... Country roads. Take me home.

We pulled in last night around 11 pm ... a mere 30 hours after we left, and 350 miles round trip.

More pictures for the people.

No comments:

 
'