Monday, September 03, 2007

Reunions

Last week we had a reunion of epic proportions at our house. Bob, one of Michael's two best friends from high school, scheduled a trip out to see us for his 30th birthday. As a surprise for Bob, we convinced Jerimy - the other piece of this triple threat - to come out and see us as well. Through various white lies and admirable acting on our part, we managed to keep it a secret until the moment we pulled up to the airport terminal to pick Jer up. It was - as they say - priceless.

The last time these three had a reunion such as this was when Bob lived in New Orleans, almost exactly 6 years ago. The day Michael was supposed to return home, I got a phone call early in the morning.

"I won't be flying in today," he said. "It may be a few days. Just turn on the tv."

"Why?" I asked, very confused, having just woken up. At first I thought he was joking, just wanting to extend his visit. "What are you talking about?"

"They've closed down all the airports."

"All the airports? I don't get it, in Louisiana? Wait, the whole country? Why? What is going on?" I kept asking questions he seemed unable to answer.

"Just turn on the tv and I'll call you back in a little while."

I turned on the television just in time to see an airplane crash into Tower Two of the World Trade Center. I spent the rest of the day in bed. Michael spent an extra week in Louisiana. And all around us, the country began spinning out of control.

No comments:

 
'