Friday, February 08, 2008

Another End in Sight

We finally see the finish line on our house. They've given us a walk-through date of Feb 18, with a "guestimated" move-in date of the 28th. I am very thankful we get an extra day before the end of the month as our lease is up the last day.

Bobby - true to his loyal form - has decided to come help us move! He'll be staying with us the entire week. I'm so thankful for friends like him (for more reasons than just his muscles).

So nearing the ending on construction is kind of bittersweet in that I'm very excited to move in, get out of this neighborhood, spread out, have a pool put in, etc. But I'm dreading the work that lays ahead for us as well. More than just the moving, since we decided to do a lot of the finish work ourselves we have a mountain of tasks awaiting. Tile, paint, fixtures, landscaping, blinds etc ... all in good time.

We have been very happy with the whole construction process though. Most people gave us dire prophecies of how terrible our experience was bound to be, that any and all contractors are untrustworthy, that we would likely near divorce for all the decisions and compromises that had to be made. But none of these predictions came true. In fact, it's been pretty painless. The only issue we are dealing with now is my inexplicable regret over half the decisions we made. I wish we had done this, or that, or not done this or that, etc. Poor Michael has to endure all of my inner monologues that somehow come spewing out of my mouth into aggravating outer monologues. A very big flaw of mine.

But anyway, we'll keep you up to date on the final stretch of this journey. And I'll try not to complain so much about this beautiful house we are being blessed with.

No comments:

 
'